Driver CPC Training  






This page provides information on periodic training – part of the Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) which all professional drivers of busses and coaches (D, D1, DE, D1E license holders) and professional drivers of Lorries (C, C1, CE, C1E licence holders) must hold.

New drivers wishing to obtain a vocational licence to drive professionally will need to pass the Driver CPC Initial Qualification. Further information can be found online at, by calling 0300 200 1122 or email (putting ‘Driver CPC Enquiry’ in the subject field).

What is Driver CPC?

Driver CPC has been introduced across the European Union to maintain high driving standards and improve road safety. All professional bus, coach and lorry drivers must hold a Driver CPC if they want to drive for a living (there are a few exempt groups – please see ‘Are the any special concessions?’

NB: any drivers of lorries over 3.5 tonnes, and minibuses with nine seats or more, must obtain a Driver CPC. The ‘Transport Manager’s CPC’ also known as the ‘Operator’s CPC’ is a separate qualification and anyone holding one who still drives professionally as part of their job also needs to hold a Driver CPC.

The minimum length of a training course is seven hours. Where a course of seven hours is split into two parts the second part must start within 24 hours of the completion of the first part. It is important that you allow yourself enough time to complete your training within the five year period. There is no advantage in delaying your periodic training. The sooner you train, the sooner your knowledge and skills will be refreshed and updated, which will enhance your professionalism. Driver CPC requires all professional bus, coach and lorry drivers to complete a minimum of 35 hours periodic training every five years for as long as they wish to continue to drive professionally.

What subjects will periodic training cover?

Periodic training is designed to complement the individual driver’s work and be relevant to their every day job. Courses may include fuel efficient driving style training, defensive driving techniques, first aid, health and safety, driver’s hours regulations and tachographs. Courses will also enable drivers to keep up to date with changing regulations. The syllabus broadly covers:

Safe and fuel efficient driving
Legal requirements
Health and safety, service and logistics
Further details on the Driver CPC syllabus can be found online at

How does it affect me?

All drivers need to complete a minimum of 35 hours of periodic training every five years. The training will require attendance at courses but will not require drivers to take or pass further examinations.

How you gain your Driver CPC will depend upon when you obtained your vocational licence. If you are a bus or coach driver and held your vocational licence (D*, D1*, DE*, D1E*) prior to 10 September 2008 you have acquired rights until 9 September 2013. If you are a lorry driver and held your vocational licence (C, C1, CE, C1E) prior to 10 September 2009 you have acquired rights until 9 September 2014. To keep your Driver CPC and continue driving professionally beyond this date, you will need to complete 35 hours of periodic training.

New drivers will need to pass the initial qualification to gain their vocational driving licence and qualify for their Driver CPC. For a new driver, the requirement to undertake a minimum of 35 hours’ periodic training to retain their Driver CPC will start once they have passed the initial qualification.

* Those who have an entitlement on their licence stating ‘not for hire or reward’ (Code 101) will not have acquired rights and will have to take the initial qualification should they wish to drive professionally.

What is periodic training?

Periodic training is continuing professional development for bus, coach and lorry drivers. It carries on throughout the professional driver’s career – no matter how infrequently they drive.

Where can I get trained?

Only approved courses taken with approved training Centre will count towards periodic training. The approval process for courses is managed on behalf of the Driving Standards Agency by the Joint Approvals Unit for Periodic Training (JAUPT).

DSA will provide a central database to keep records of the periodic training completed by each driver. It will be the responsibility of the training Centre to enter records onto the database.

VIP Transport Management Consultancy have a fully equipped and approved training Centre (AC01156) at 70 Churchill Square business Centre, Kingshill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4YU. Training can be provided here or at any pre-inspected site if required, please contact us for more information.

Is there a test to pass?

No. There is no requirement for a course to include a test or a pass/fail element yet.

I hold both a PCV and LGV licence; will I need to undertake two sets of periodic training?

No, only one set of periodic training needs to be completed every five years.

How will I prove I hold Driver CPC?

You will be able to prove you hold Driver CPC by a Driver Qualification Card (DQC). The card will be issued to new drivers automatically on successfully passing the initial qualification. Drivers with acquired rights (holding a GB photo card license) will be automatically issued with the card on completion of the 35th hour of periodic training.

Those drivers with acquired rights will be able to use their driving licence as proof of their Driver CPC status until they have completed their 35 hours training within the first five year cycle at which point they will be issued with a DQC.

There will be no charge for the card at point of issue.

As the card will be sent to the address on your driving licence it is important that you keep your details up to date with DVLA. You must carry your DQC whilst driving and there will be penalties if you are found to be driving professionally without one. If your DQC has been lost, stolen or damaged, you must report it to the DSA as soon as possible and apply for a replacement card. There will be a fee to replace and issue new cards. (click image to download flyer)

To report your DQC card lost, stolen or damaged contact:

Email (putting ‘DQC Enquiry’ in the subject field),

Telephone 0300 200 1122 or write to:

Driver CPC Enquiries
PO Box 280
NE99 1FP

You will be able to continue to drive professionally while you wait for your new DQC to arrive. If your replacement card does not arrive within 15 days of you making the application, we strongly recommend that you contact us to confirm that your application has been received and is being processed.

NB: if your card has been lost or stolen we recommend you inform your employer.


Are there any special concessions?

There are exemptions from the Driver CPC qualification for drivers of vehicles:

  • used for the non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods, for personal use
  • undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or new or rebuilt vehicles not yet put into service
  • used in the course of driving lessons for any person wishing to obtain a driving licence or Driver CPC
  • carrying material or equipment to be used by the driver in the course of his or her work, provided that driving the vehicle does not constitute the driver’s principal activity
  • with a maximum authorised speed not exceeding 45km/h
  • used by, or under the control of, the armed forces, civil defense, the fire service, and forces responsible for maintaining public order
  • used in states of emergency or assigned to rescue missions.

Would I not be better off taking the course in 2014 to get the full 5 years?

No. The courses can be taken any time before the 9th September 2014 and will be valid for a full 5 years from 9th September 2014 (taking you up to 2019), as we get closer to 2014 the availability of courses could decrease and getting on a course could be difficult, maybe even cost more (supply and demand). My advise is get the courses under your belt ASAP.

I was told that it will fade away and there is no need to do it?

I can't stress enough that this will NOT go away, it has been passed in Europe on EU Directive 2003/59 and is already currently law within the UK for any new LGV/HGV and PSV drivers.

For latest course information and cost's please click here (contact us page)


Call Us Today On 08703 146 142

FTA-Logo FORSLogoAssociate twitterbutton black-linkedin facebookbutton